GEEKS JUST RULE THE WORLD OKAY??
I read this book last month and I DEVOURED this book in a day because (A) I eat books (B) it was cute (C) it was a fast contemporary that made me feel like a fluffy
dragon ball of cuteness (D) everyone was smol and I declared my love for them by ingesting them.
I loveeeedd this book A LOT. I’ve been reading so many books that appreciate online life recently. . .OKAY JUST TWO. .. but waaaaaaaa they make me so happy.
* Love the fangirl aspect —> I am a #fangirl and that’s not really shown in books that much??? Elle was such a lil smol nerd and was so lovely. SHE’S SO CUTE.AND SO PASSIONATE ABOUT STARFIELD!!!!
* Darien was such a secret lil fanboy and is now another one of my boyfriends. He’s really lovely deep down, and we got to see loads of his personality bcDUAL POV!!! <– FAVE THING. (yeah Darien too I guess. . . ahah yes.) * CINDERELLA RETELLING!!! LOVEED IT!! * Naturally with a Cinderella retelling you get an evil stepmother and stepsisters. . . AN OHHH WHERE THEY PRESENT. I LOATHE THEM SM. Can Catherine and Chloe go away now. PLEASE. * I got so invested (read it in a day!) — much more than I expected — and found it SOOO cuteeeee and was squealing for 35698% of the book.
“My dad said that the impossible is only impossible if you don’t even try.
So I want to try.”
* SAGE!!! –>SUPER COOL, FUNKY, DIVERSE. ALSO!! Positive F/F Friendships and discusses how lesbians can have female friends and this book shuts down homophobia #yasssss. Sage = fabulous fairy godmother who has the bestGREEN HAIR. SEWING GENIUS. So many people judge her for thingsWHEN THEY DON’T EVEN KNOW HER and this made me so angry because it was SO RELATABLE and the way that she just did not care and basically gave everyone, that deserved it, shade was just making me scream “yasss” whenever she reappeared in the book.
SHE IS THE FAIRY GODMOTHER.
“She wears life like Elvis wore sequins, with no apology laced into the seams.”
OMG YASSS TO RETELLINGGSSSS I LOVE THEM NOW.
* This book had a lot aboutJUDGEMENT. Judging by appearances, social status, family life, sexuality!!! And how judging people is a terrible thing to do and that people need to just #STOPNOW. ANDDDD it was also about EXPECTATIONS. I just felt so bad for Darien because people kept EXPECTING him to be something that they wanted, rather then letting Darien do what HE wanted to do, and being who HE wanted to be.
* I really love how Elle and Darien’s relationship started and continued over texting before they met each other where they couldn’t judge each other by what they looked like. ALSO.I JUST WANTED THEM TO MEET THROUGH THE WHOLE THING.
* And when they did. . . they didn’t even know who each other were and fought 2/4 times that they were together in the book. . . totally unaware. . . HA BANTS.
-“Elle, we might not know much about each other, and I might not be there, and you might not be here, but I’m glad I share this sky with you.
-Maybe we should start looking up together, ah’blena”
* Errrr so like. . . with quite a few contemporaries I’ve had the same lil problem:the romance happened rather FAST. I think more so for Darien, than Elle, but still. It was kinda unrealistic from that side (EVEN THOUGH THE WHOLE PLOT ISN’T EXACTLY REALISTIC — not a bad thing) but somehow I still found it really cute!!! Still, I’m going to give this book 4/5 stars (4.5 really. . .) because I would have liked the book to maybe be set over just a little longer to slow down the relationship a smidge??
Have you read this book? What did you think?? Have you read another retellings? What did you think of them? What other books do you recommend that are retellings? What books have you read with lots of internet appreciation? Let me know!