The fact that 2017 is coming to a close is making me flail around more than usual. This is not without due cause, and, no, I’m not “exaggerating”, or whatever non-booky-people call us.
Reasons for my flailing: 1) I realise how many books that I DIDN’T READ and now I’m a bad bookworm 2) I have to get teh top ten books that I read this year for this post and I’M TOO INDECISIVE OK??!?! 3) I’m panicking because in 2018 there are gonna be so many new BRILLIANT books and I’m never going to catch up on reading books from 5 years ago, and NOW MY TBR WILL CRUSH ME, OKAY?* 4) What if I read a book between now and the end of the year and then can’t add it to my list???
please can I just rgbkdgdngjdgndljngd have unlimited reading time???
Guys, I’m not panicking. I’m not. You are. GUYS STOP MAKING ME PANIC. I’M NOT PANICKING OKAY?Someone hand me cake I need to stop panicking.
Before I just flail into the pile of books that I read this year, lemme first talk about my crazy reading habits this year.
*like, for real now. . .
- I went off contemporary. Mate, I WANTED TO BURN THAT GENRE.
- I’m now reading the genre again. . . but I’m extremely picky.
- I know I need to just pick whether I like it or not!!!!
- I WONT.
- I read more sci-fi! By this I literally mean I read Illuminae and Gemina. WHOA. OBSIDIO COME HITHER. oh oh oh and WARCROSS.
- I READ POETRY. RHGESG I LOVE IT SO MUCH.
- I finally read books by V.E SCHWAB!!!!! Truth is, I got This Savage Song, ADSOM and AGOS last Christmas. YEP. A YEAR A GO. And I didn’t start them until AUGUST THIS YEAR. And I still haven’t finished AGOS. . . I know. I actually suck at reading.The longest book that I read was 864 pages.
Actually, it was 3857632563 pages.
- I read some ARCS. yay.
- MAGGIE STEIFVATER TOOK MY HEART AND SOUL AND GAVE IT TO GANSEY. (I love the others. But. GANSEY. PLEASE. HE’S PRECIOUS.) KRHBDGHDFJBGFDB THE RAVEN KING. I’M NEARLY FINISHED. I NEARLY AM, I PROMISE.
MY TOP TEN READS OF THIS YEAR
I know what you’re thinking, but let me explain:
(by the way these aren’t in any order whatsoever!)
- Gemina / lluminae: these two go together, but out of the two, I have to say that Gemina was my favourite because there were more feels, I felt more heart break, and I felt that the world building was so much stronger in this book. Also Nik. I fell in love with him so fast because go how much he loveeeeed her and it was so cute and he’s so smol.
- Our Dark Duet / This Savage Song: again, ODD has to be my favourite because YES, TSS blew me away, but ODD shattered me into a million grains of sand and then scattered me across the world. I just felt so much pain in the second book, I loved it.
- Eliza and Her Monsters: I know what you’re thinking: “OMG A CONTEMPORARY??” but yes. a contemporary. I loved this book so much. I wasn’t blown away, but it still made my heart ache and there were so many fuzzy feeling moments and it wasn’t filled with drama and pettiness and was generally lovely.
- ACOMAF: I think that if I read it now, I wouldn’t like it to the extent that I did before, but at the time of reading it, I was absolutely dumbfounded and this book captivated me for the entire reading experience and I reread it over and over. And because of the love that I had for it before, I couldn’t not include it here.
- THE RAVEN BOYS!!!!!!!! (books 1-3): this series. MY NEW FAVOURITE. Honestly. The first book, was nothing. LITERALLY. THIS SERIES HAS TAKEN SUCH A TURN. I DID NOT EXPECT THIS. AND I LOVE IT TO PIECES. I’m currently reading the last instalment *sobs* and I’m crying on every other page, both happy and sad crying. And I just don’t want it to end.
- Lady Midnight: Yes, I’m ashamed at me too. I just want to sob and eat cake because WHAT WAS I DOING not reading this last year?? I BOUGHT IT LAST YEAR. I JUST NEVER PICKED IT UP??!?!? WHY?!?!? IDK. But it killed me, shoved Cortana through my heart and left me to burn in the sun, because yes, I am a vampire. AND OMG LOS IS DARK ALREADY (currently reading it because I’m really behind okay???!?! *takes a deep breath*
- Starfish: this book was so sweet, but tackled so many stereotypes at the same time, and had a lovely message!! I just adored it, even if the romance was a little fast.
- Warcross: magnificent. That’s all I can say.
- Outlander: rjgbukdfgbdjgnkr all the feels!!!!!!!! JAMIE!!!!!!!! I adore Scotland so much. I can’t even begin. This was the largest book that I read, and before, it had intimidated me sooooo much!! And, now, The next book is even longer (1200pg) and I’m scaredddddddd. . . *runs away*
- And number ten is. . . *RUNS AWAY!!* Guys I seriously cannot pick. this is too difficult. I’m going to keep this spot open because WHAT IF I FINISH A BOOK AND THEN REALLY LOVE IT MORE THAN A BOOK ALREADY ON THIS LIST??? SO I’LL JUST LEAVE THIS ONE EMPTY JUST IN CASE. YOU SHOULD HAVE SEEN THIS COMING. I’M NOT PANICKED, STOP SAYING THAT!!!
SOME BOOKS THAT I DIDN’T GET TO READING
. . . just. . . a. . . few. . .
I own about 4 of these. . . so it’s okay???
. . . there are probably loads more too. . .
I’M NOT PANICKING.
SOME OF THE BOOKS THAT I DIDN’T LIKE THIS YEAR
I DNF’ed one book: When Dimple Met Rishi.
I felt that both Percy Jackson and One Memory were a little meh. . .
And I thought that Traitor To The Throne was slow for the majority of the book and only really kicked off right at the end.
LIFE STUFF / EVENTS
Soooo many of you may not know this, but yes I have a life outside of blogging. I KNOW. MIND BLOWN. As much as I say “books are my entire life, blogging is my entire life,” other things do go on in my life.
I’ll just leave you for a moment to revoker from his groundbreaking news.
Right so yeah things that happened this year:
well, I read books. on the 7th January I hit 1 year of blogging
- I had mock exams on June and also December!! I think that these mocks went okay, but I was EXTRA-stressing(-LIKE-MORE-THAN-USUAL-WHICH-MEANS-MY-BRAIN-WAS-ACTUALLY-MELTING-A-LIL-BIT) out for about a month and a half of my life
and on top of that I was stressing about books because I wasn’t reading any because EXAMS.
- It was my birthday. whoaaaa shocker. (I DON’T KNOW WHAT ELSE TO SAY!!!!!! I WILL SAY THIS NEXT YEAR TOO)
- I dislocated my jaw.
- I tore a ligament in my hand and couldn’t write for 2 months. It still doesn’t work properly. Well done me.
- NEWS FLASHHHH I’M CLUMSY.
- I went on trains a lot.
I went on Goodreads more. whoop go me
- I started writing poetry. THIS ONE COUNTS OKAY. IT HAS TO.
- I didn’t participate in NaNo but I’m doing 1/2DeLuWriMo because I’m writing now, and I started the other day and then I’ll write in January too #JaLuWriMo.
- I went to my first blogger meet up!!
- I did some canoeing: v cold and v hard work but v fun.
- I GOT A NEW BED!! IT’S!! REALLY!! SOFT!! AND!! IT’S!! A!! DOUBLE!! BED!! SO!! YAY!! ( <– let’s be honest, this is all you guys wanted to know)
- I dunno okay?
What books did you love this year? Did any of them match mine? Do you have any recommendations for me(yes I know this will be death by tbr)? What books did you NOT get around to reading? Did you read some of the books that I wanted to this year? What books were you not that impressed with? HOW WAS YOUR 2017?