The book is so stab-tacular I can’t get over it.
I also read it so long ago but hell, I need something to post and I realised that I never really talked about this book that much????
IF YOU MISSED THE MEMO: IT WAS AMAZING
“I know where you sleep, Bard.”
She smirked. “Then you know I sleep with knives.”
Okay so this book took me ten months to read 35% and then I started it again the other day and finished it in a number of hours.
Smol List Of Things I Loved:
- basically, Kell x Lila refusing to acknowledge any FEELINGS.
- Protective Kel (the banter between him and Alucard, I’m in LOVE).
- The world building was amazing and I
thinkknow that I just want to live there forever.
- Rhy being sassy and also starting to be responsible?? What is this?? Also the banter between him and Kell,,,, best brothers in YA, no lie.
- Though, Troublesome Brothers™ in the beginning.
Stress. this is what the book was. Just stress. And feelings and the Rhy’s ship breaking. my. poor. smol. heart.
So I think that the main things that we need to point out are:
- it’s very character-y and not very plotty. I’d say that the plot doesn’t really start until wayyy over half way.
- But there’s still a lot of humour.
That’s why I just completely put it down because even though it was HILARIOUS, nothing was really happening??
“Kell would say it was impossible. What a useless word, in a world with magic.”
BUT when the plot got going, it was GREAT. I liked the whole “game/tournament” thing that went on? I could actually follow the battle scenes? WHICH IS NEW?? Literally never happened before. That literally shows how AMAZING the writing was.
I think that the characters are actually just the best? They’re hilarious. They’re fabulous. All the witty banter!!
“You tried to seduce me, for information.“
“You can’t hold that against me forever.”
“It was last night.“
(Bard and Emery being amazing pals)
- KELL: Not my favourite chocolate in the box, but HE IS SO DEDICATED TO HIS BROTHER? He is by FAR one of the best, if not THE best brother in YA (joint with Rhy, of course). He’s just such a gem. “I gave him my life, but you cannot ask me to stop living.” PLUS I love it when brothers annoy the hell out of each other and their banter is great. He’s such a broody, moody character and always frowning and I just relate to him?? He’s SUCH A PAIN and is so fed up with everyone, especially Royal’s Bullshit™, it’s great. His personality is SO relatable. Gah HE’S SUFFERING THO.
- RHY: He’s also a suffering bby who needs to tone down the alcohol. All the partying, and quips and the attitude, he needs to sort this out, but he’s hilarious too—TRYING HIS SAD SOUL, which just makes me even sadder. “The prince shrugged. “Who needs magic when you look this good?” He’s not whiny tho?? Even though he has a complete RIGHT to be, I mean, he’s gone through A LOT.
- LILA-FREAKING-BARD: Thief, pirate, magician. Stabtacualr. Everything about her. So snarky, the expert of CONCEALING EMOTION. Can we just talk about how kick-ass she is?? She’s bloody amazing. Her friendships with Calla and Alucard are amazing and made me HOWL with laughter. “What are you supposed to be?” she asked in Arnesian. “A fish?”
Alucard made a noise of mock affront. “Obviously,” he said, brandishing the helmet, “I’m a dragon.”
- ALUCARD EMERY: I would 1000% die for him. He’s an awesome “privateer” *cough*pirate captain*cough* who is sassy and a queen and a bit of an ass sometimes because he’s CONCEALING HIS DEEP EMOTIONS. Also… can we just talk about that scene.. before the party.. page 307-308… “Fix your crown, my prince,” he called back as he reached the door. “It’s crooked.” *winkwinkwinkwink*
“Everyone’s immortal until they’re not.”
THE CLIFFHANGER…SERIOUSLY? MEAN. I was just DEAD. I literally went out and bought ACOL the day after finishing this. It was so tear-iffic that my actual heart was crying. I NEEDED TO KNOW??? I thought that it would be EVEN MORE DRAMATIC, but I think that it was an EXCELLENT ending. The pace had really picked up and I was gripped until the terrifying end.
Basically, everything was NEARLY perfect for me.
All the feelings that had me screaming and writing on the floor, AWESOME, GRUESOME STABBING AND DEATH, character development FOR DAYS… what more could you want?
“Oh yes, your relationship with Miss Bard is positively ordinary.”
“Crossing worlds, killing royals, saving cities. The marks of every good courtship.”